Sunday, August 8, 2010

On the Freedom Flight From Gaza, For a While


By Nasser Barakat

"GAZA CITY, Aug 7, 2010 (IPS) - I tasted freedom for the first time in three years. After being stuck in Gaza since 2007 I travelled to Malaysia for a holiday. It was like visiting another planet. Being treated like a human being and being able to experience what many young people around the world take for granted, was a miracle.

My name is Nasser Barakat. I'm 23 years old and from Gaza City. I work as an emergency water, sanitation and hygiene advocacy taskforce officer with the UN International Children's Emergency Fund (Unicef).

My work involves helping Gazans with the enormous difficulties they are facing in accessing safe and clean drinking water, and the sanitation problems which plague Gaza. This is due to the Israeli siege on the coastal territory which prevents the import of most reconstruction material, critical spare parts and sufficient quantities of fuel.

I have been unable to leave and travel abroad to attend international conferences and workshops that I've been invited to attend on behalf of Gaza and the UN.

The Israelis refused me permission to travel to the capital of my country and attend a business conference, so I had to link up with Jerusalem via video. The Egyptians in the south had until recently also imposed a blockade on Gaza, opening the border only infrequently to allow small numbers of Palestinians to travel for urgent reasons....."

No comments: