Friday, November 3, 2006

Food aid distribution in Gaza

LATEST FROM DR. MONA EL-FARRA IN GAZA

"I received a question (by the road less traveled) asking for my comment regarding the food distribution in Gaza, here is my comment and I am sorry for the delay, I was highly distressed by the situation and focussed on practical support for my community and that drained a lot of my time and efforts, beside the electricity inconvenience and lastly, my email was not functioning for 10 days, problem with the server, I do apologise again .

There are many aid orgs works in Gaza both local and international, the local and international are working with its high capacity, via different organisations eg, red crescent society , union of health work committees, pader, asalah org,islamic relief, middle east council of churches dove and dolphin, middle east children alliance (MECA), the Unrwa , World Food Programme and some more, those orgs have high level of coordination i mean the highest possible in Gaza under the current circumstances, there are big obstacles that face those orgs, the most important are the borders closure and lack of good storing circumstances on the borders, this affects both the food as well as medications, and makes the food supplies irregular, especially when we are talking about a population of 1.6million, 70% of it depends on aid at the moment. The civil society orgs are working continuously to meet the population needs, and despite the siege and non-stop military actions against Palestinian people , social solidarity proved to be strong way of resisting occupation and sanctions, international solidarity is another way of resisting occupation."

No comments: