Friday, October 15, 2010

MJ Rosenberg : The Horrors Of Israeli Settlements

The usual suspects (the lobby and its cutouts on Capitol Hill) don't think settlements are such a big deal.

They should go to Hebron, a major city on the occupied West Bank — one that right-wingers say Israel will hold on to no matter what. It won't change their calculations on the Middle East, but at least they will know what they are defending in the name of political expediency.

I have visited Hebron a half-dozen times, most recently as part of an official U.S. government delegation. Much of what follows comes from a report I wrote then. (Note: the situation has only deteriorated.)

Some 400 settlers live in H-2 in the midst of 20,000 Palestinians, protected by soldiers from the IDF.

On my last visit to Hebron, I walked into the heart of H-2 following a short inquisition by a soldier. The soldier was pretty nasty and, when I complained, he asked me how I would feel if I was risking my life to defend settlers who routinely called him and his fellow Israeli soldiers "Nazis." (The settlers hate the IDF because the Israeli army prevents them from tormenting the Palestinians even more than they already do. The army imposes restraints and the settlers want to be able to attack the unarmed Palestinians whenever they feel like it.)

No comments: