Monday, December 5, 2011

Islamists and Women



A COMMENT
By Yasmin From Cairo

Now that Salafist lawmakers (two words which should never go together) are speaking confidently about mandatory dress codes for women, I'm gonna call a spade a spade and speak my politically INcorrect views on hijab/niqab. If my dress is openly derided as offensive, then I have the right - finally - to break my polite silence.

1. FIND ME WHERE IN THE KORAN IT SAYS VEILING IS REQUIRED OF WOMEN

I don't know what happened to Egypt over the past two decades where we went from almost all uncovered to almost all covered today - but I assure you it had nothing to do with suddenly discovering a previously overlooked passage that made millions of Egyptian suddenly realize their dress was anti Islamic.

This is what I find most offensive about it. The idea that veiled woman are on some superior religious ground compared to me - more true to the faith. Wear what you want but don't insist you're any more religious than I am. Personally I'm a secular atheist (or at least agnostic) but I'm still insulted by this holier than thou stance.

2. OBSESSION WITH SEX

Veiling is just another manifestation of the devout's infantile obsession and preoccupation with sex and the female body. A salafist recently told an Egyptian journalist that "a woman's face is like her sex organ". These people don't see women as people. Even the less extreme Islamists abhor the female body. The veil SCREAMS "I am a sex object. Be warned!"

Faith that revolves around denial of female sexuality is silly and juvenile. These guys need to take a goddam cold shower. And everyone just grow up. There's more to life than sex.

3. "CHOICE"

While it's impossible to say whether a woman is pressured by the Muslim male community into veiling herself or makes an independent choice, i think one has to admit that social coercion is a major factor in what's happened in Egypt over the past 20 years or so.

4. IT SUCKS

Finally, my views on the clothing itself. I have seen nothing to convince me it's Islamic, I find layers of clothing in 100+ degree heat absurd, ridiculous, bizarre and abhorrent. These women are drenched in sweat in the summer, and one can barely bear to stand next to one becuase of their ghastly body odor. If this isn't oppressive I don't know what is.

1 comment:

theslo said...

check my blog replica bags look at this website cheap designer bags replica read more replica wallets