Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Baradei: EU envoy was involved in planning coup against Morsi

Link

Mohamed El-Baradei
Post-coup Egyptian Vice President Mohamed El-Baradei has revealed that EU Envoy Bernardino Leon was involved in the negotiations that led to the military coup against President Mohamed Morsi in July 2013.
El-Baradei made his remarks during a political seminar in which he talked about the events in Egypt.
"In 2013 I had to be a part of a position, but basically to say we need an inclusive approach, you know, we need to get, we need to get a situation when both the so called Islamists and the non Islamists- I don't really have a description."
"I can't exactly describe what Islamist is, so many shades and hues. But what happened afterwards is completely not what I signed. I signed on an early presidential election, I signed on a dignified exit for Mr Morsi, I signed on for an inclusive situation where the Brotherhood, the Islamist will be part of it. I signed on a plan which has been worked on by my friend Bernardino Leon is trying to do the same in Libya and, but then all this was thrown out of the window, violence started to take over and once violence started to take over, there is no place for somebody like me."
"I mean there's no political space, there is no, uh. In a society where you don't have a clear concept of justice and inclusivism in the political space, then I, you cannot be effective and you cannot be a part of it."
Bernardino Leon, a Spanish diplomat, was appointed in August 2014 as the Special Representative and Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya, succeeding Tarek Mitri.

No comments: