Friday, November 27, 2009

Congress: Selling out on American Values for Politics

By Adam Shapiro
Palestine Chronicle

".....When my friend Tom told me he was trying to become a Congressman, he assured me that he would maintain who he was. The man I knew was someone who fought for justice, who worked tirelessly to promote international law and human rights, and who was aware of the reality of Congress but determined to be different. Congressman Perriello, I am afraid, has become like so many of his colleagues, a mere tool of a hard-right AIPAC agenda that has no business dictating American policy. He has become part of an American dog wagged by an Israeli and AIPAC tail.

Voters are again disengaging because they continue to see too much business as usual. Tom is just the latest manifestation of a politician abandoning core beliefs.

What is most disappointing, perhaps, is not that my friend Tom is missing in this incarnation of Congressman Perriello - who seems willing to trade fundamental human rights for political expedience - but that in the end I was right to be cynical."

No comments: