Wednesday, November 25, 2009

LETTER FROM A LEBANESE FRIEND DEPORTED FROM THE UNITED ARAB EMIRATES


"Dear Norm (Finkelstein) ,
The events in brief as they happened :

The land of Golden opportunities

This is what the UAE has been trying to promote itself through itself through CNN and other major media tycoons but underlying these smooth golden dunes lies violations of human rights in all its facets

The man-hunt and the phone-tags started some while ago even before the Lebanese elections as I have figured out from the questions that were addressed to me during the 3 interrogations that were imposed on me by the Emirate CID …

A young man of not more than 25 years entered the room and seated himself across the room and started his extensive questions about my past including my family , professional life and politics. From his questioning, I recognized that they had bugged my home phone, were reading my mobile messages, were following me and checking out the people I was meeting for some while …

Not that there was anything worth listening, reading, or knowing …. I am just an ordinary dame!!!

His “polite questions” slowly transferred into accusations about my political views and religious beliefs…He also mocked my religious beliefs and practices (i.e. being a Shia) in a very callous way that was quite painful and agonizing since could not answer back or defend myself …Since this was the first time I had been faced with such insulting remarks …I think I was in shock ….He went beyond that to accuse me of being a member of “silent cells” (a term that I heard for the first time) that Hizbollah and Iran are trying to build in the UAE …

What a joke!!!......

During this final interrogation, I was forced into having my eyes scanned and was asked to sign a paper that I have been deported for security and special reasons …I refused of course and then they became verbally abusive with me and one of the officers attempted to dump me in a cell full of Phlipino , Indian and other Asian convicts. I still refused … I think they gave up on me and ordered me to go to the airport immediately and take the 4 o’clock plane …of which I did!!! I was deported on the 21st of October, 2009.

I am back in Lebanon … searching for a job and trying to put my life back together …The University in the UASE refused to even give me my month’s salary , the ticket , end of service, and other rights claiming that I have brought this to myself and they are not responsible for my “ political adventures” …

Talk about Human Rights in the land of Golden Opportunities … "

No comments: