by Larry Chin
Global Research, February 20, 2007
"The Bush administration will attack Iran as early as spring 2007. The administration is on total war footing.
Over the next few months, the administration and its allies and functionaries will create and provoke a pretext that forces a political consensus behind an attack on Iran. Any or all of the following may occur:
* Violent resistance to US occupation within Iraq is blamed on Iran. As previously noted, the idea that Iran is arming Iraqi attacks against US forces is a central theme of new Bush administration propaganda. Paul Pillar, former CIA officer and member of the Council on Foreign Relations, is among many critics arguing that Iran is not behind the attacks. This will not stop the Bush-Cheney apparatus from spewing lies to the contrary.
* A major terror attack against US interests is blamed on Iran. In recent testimony before the US Senate, Zbigniew Brzezinski warned that the Bush administration is headed on a “downhill track towards a head-on conflict with Iran and much of the world of Islam” -- and that the conflict may begin with a major terror attack, either domestically or overseas, against Americans by Iran. (See also here, and here.)
In Brzezinski’s words, the Bush administration’s mismanagement of Iraq is an “historic, strategic and moral calamity,” “driven by Manichean impulses and imperial hubris” that “intensifies regional instability” and (of primary, if not sole concern to Brzezinski) “undermines America’s global legitimacy.” Brzezinski, a chief architect of the US “Grand Chessboard” geostrategy, which laid the foundation for the 9/11 attacks, has been an outspoken critic of the Bush administration’s “mishandling” of the war. The Bush administration has longed for the right moment to set off “the next 9/11.”
* Iraq-Iran diplomacy characterized as terrorist interference by Iran.
* Real and imaginary Iranian responses to Bush administration rhetoric or provocations will be characterized as war provocation by Tehran.
* New evidence of Iranian nuclear “intentions” will be “found,” and presented to the “international community,” in order to sanction punishment.....Continue