Saturday, September 13, 2008

Statement from Dr. Al-Arian to Supporters


09.09.2008 http://www.freesaminow.com/
Expresses gratitude for support; "Freedom restores dignity and humanity"

"Northern Virginia - September 9, 2008 - Dr. Sami Al-Arian has given his first public statement since being released on bond, thanking his supporters for everything they have done, and calling on them to keep bearing witness to justice all over the world.

[Statement from Dr. Al-Arian:]

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." These words, uttered by Thomas Jefferson more than two centuries ago, ring true today. I am very grateful to those who have been steadfast and vigilant in their defense of freedom, justice, and truth throughout my struggle during the past six years. Indeed, freedom restores the most precious qualities of life, dignity, and humanity.

My thanks go to those in all corners of the globe who have campaigned for my case and for other prisoners of conscience. It takes courage and principle to stand up for justice at a time when fear often trumps rationality and fairness.

I am also grateful that my release came during a month of spirituality and reflection, one that I am blessed to spend with my family, while still remembering those who are less fortunate and deprived of the most important things in life: freedom, family, and peace.

The work of my attorneys, Professor Jonathan Turley, Will Olson, and P.J. Meitl, has been outstanding. I am deeply grateful for their efforts in reuniting me with my family after so many years.

Finally, to my friends, supporters, and people of conscience, although I have been released, my situation is not yet over. My family and I appreciate that you keep us in your thoughts and prayers. May God bestow His blessings, mercy, and grace on all those who struggle for justice and freedom, and on those who stand up for and speak out on their behalf.

Write to Dr. Al-Arian!

Personal letters are always an important source of inspiration for Dr. Al-Arian to keep persevering. To send a letter, simply email tampabayjustice@yahoo.com and your message will be passed along to him. Remember, even a short message of encouragement means a lot.

Again, to all of you who have shown your support, you have our heartfelt gratitude. "

No comments: