Sunday, July 5, 2009

Hiyam, a Gaza teenager killed as she offered aid


Rami Almeghari writing from the occupied Gaza Strip, Live from Palestine, 5 July 2009

"Thursday was as normal and quiet an afternoon as you get in Johr al-Deek village in the central Gaza Strip. "Prepare yourself for I will be taking you to the dentist in half an hour," Salim Abu Ayish recalled telling his 17-year-old daughter Hiyam.

Moments later everything changed. "At 5:30 PM an Israeli shell landed on my brother's house," the father told visitors who had come to offer condolences for his daughter at the family's home on Friday. The shell injured a nephew and Salim Abu Ayish rushed to render aid.

"I asked Hiyam to bring me the car key from my bedroom," Salim Abu Ayish said. As she went, he recalled, "suddenly another shell struck my room, killing Hiyam instantly, as shrapnel rippled through her body. I was injured with some of the shrapnel in my back and my neck."......"

No comments: