Thursday, January 14, 2010
Press release, Addameer and Stop the Wall, 14 January 2010
(Left: Mohammad Othman)
"On 13 January 2010, Mohammad Othman and Jamal Juma, Palestinian human rights defenders active in the campaign against the annexation wall unlawfully constructed by Israel in occupied Palestinian territory, were finally released from Israeli detention. Addameer and Stop the Wall contend that both were arrested in an effort to curb the success of their peaceful activities in defense of Palestinian human rights.
Addameer and Stop the Wall would like to express a heartfelt and sincere thank you to everyone who took action on behalf of Mohammad and Jamal....
Addameer and Stop the Wall therefore continue to urge the international community, including diplomatic missions in the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPT) and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) to intervene with Israel, calling for:
* an end to the Israeli practice of arbitrary detention of human rights defenders;
* the immediate release of all human rights defenders involved with the grassroots movement against the wall and settlements spearheaded by "Stop the Wall" campaign;
* full adherence to the International Convention on Civil and Political Rights as applied to the Palestinian population in the OPT;
* full respect for the UN Declaration on Human Rights Defenders; and,
* full implementation of the EU Guidelines on Human Rights Defenders........"