Tuesday, August 29, 2006

fishing in Gaza

Dr. Mona El-Farra

"I live by the seaside. I love the sea. When I was
young I always thought of myself as a fish that
cannot live outside its sea. I love swimming,
and walking by the sea any time, but specialy in the
morning and at sunset.
Now looking out of my window, watching the sea, and
the fishing boats, fills my heart with pain ,and
sadness, feeings I cannot describe. It is like a
monster's hand getting hold of my heart,strong
enough to crush it. I am resisting with my full
strength, but how long shall I stay strong
and resist? I do not know, I cannot predict.
All those thoughts crossed my mind while watching
some fishing boats which sailed too close to the
seashore. The gunboat's fires warned them to go back
to the harbour. But it is not just warning, it is
herding them, like a shepherd with its sheep,
ordering it to go back to the port .
Since the Israeli army's latest assaults against Gaza,
fishing boats are not allowed to go fishing. Few
take the risk of sailing too close to the seaside. But
all the time they are threatened by the warships'
direct shooting. Yesterday one of those boats was
under fire from the warships ,and was completely
destroyed and burned. Fishermen on board were not hurt
and they jumped into the sea.
I could not sleep, shooting continued all through
the night, so continuous and close to my
building that my daughter was frightened. We both
chose to sleep on the floor of my bedroom. I hardly
slept.
The fishing industry in Gaza has been paralysed for
the last 8 weeks. Since the capture of the Israeli
soldier, 3000 fishermen are not allowed to go fishing,
and 35.000 people who rely on this
industry are jobless. There is no fish in the Gaza
markets, though Gaza is famous for fish meals. This is
all over for the time being as anyway people do not
have the cash to buy a
non-existing nice fish meal. We can have fish and
other goodies only in our dreams.
Israel can never stop us dreaming ."

No comments: