Thursday, June 24, 2010

Why Palestinians are second-class citizens in Lebanon


Arab leaders pay lip service to Palestinian rightsexcept when it comes to the rights of domiciled refugees in their countries

Ahmed Moor
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 24 June 2010

"I moved to Beirut from New York nine months ago and began looking for an apartment. After 10 continuous years in America, I wanted to return to the Arab world – and returning to my family's roots in Palestine wasn't an option.

I knew that in Beirut, I likely wasn't going to be renting from a faceless, impersonal property company; real people mostly own the real estate here – and often, they are interested in knowing their tenants personally. That's how I learned, to my dismay, that being a Palestinian in Beirut is mostly a liability; anti-Palestinian racism is a fact of life here...."

No comments: