Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Dreaming of a better future in Gaza


By Fida Qishta writing from Rafah, occupied Gaza Strip
(Fida Qishta, an educator and journalist, is the founder and manager of the Lifemakers Center, which serves 70 children aged 6-18 in Rafah)

Live from Palestine, 11 March 2008

"Israeli officials said on 3 March that they finished their military operation in the Gaza Strip, but the Israeli attacks continue, and we fear that Israel is still planning a major invasion. On 29 February, Israel's Deputy Defense Minister Matan Vilnai warned of "a bigger holocaust" for Palestinians......

The Israeli army bulldozed and destroyed our family home in 2004. In 2006 they bombed a house 40 meters from where we were living. Saturday night they could have hit our house. I fight hard to keep hate from my heart, but I get scared sometimes that it will overcome my resistance. I hope that I can continue to win this struggle.

Violence and death bring more violence and death. Hope brings more hope. Despite everything, children in Rafah tell me they hope to play, have fun, travel, and meet Egyptian children. It is these children's dreams that renew my spirit."

No comments: