Wednesday, January 21, 2009

UN chief demands investigation into Israeli attack on Gaza headquarters, with Video


• Ban Ki-Moon visibly angry at sight of burned-out buildings

Peter Beaumont in Jerusalem and Owen Bowcott
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 20 January 2009

" The secretary general of the United Nations has called for a full investigation into Israel's shelling of three of its buildings in the Gaza Strip during its three-week long assault against Hamas. A visibly furious Ban Ki-moon condemned as "outrageous, shocking and alarming" the destruction he had seen while touring Gaza.....

....."These are heartbreaking scenes I have seen and I am deeply grieved by what I have seen today," he said, standing against a backdrop of still-smoking food aid in a UN warehouse destroyed by Israeli gunfire last Thursday.

Demanding a proper judicial inquiry and guarantees that UN buildings would not be attacked again, Ban said: "I am just appalled. I am not able to describe how I am feeling, having seen this site of the bombing of the United Nations compound. This was an outrageous and totally unacceptable attack against the United Nations."..... "

No comments: