Wednesday, April 20, 2011

If you're a Bahraini, protesting in the UK can have 'grave consequences'



After a student protest I lost my scholarship for taking part in an 'illegal' demo and was threatened by my education ministry

Suliman al-Bahraini
(Suliman al-Bahraini is a Bahraini student at a British university. He writes under a pseudonym.)
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 20 April 2011

"I'm a Bahraini student doing my final year in mechanical engineering at a university in Britain.

Last month I participated in a protest of solidarity with my people, family, and friends in Bahrain. It took place in front of the BBC building in Manchester. The protest was peaceful, and most of the demonstrators were holding Bahraini flags. We were supporting the call for democracy, equal rights and constitutional reform that promotes basic human rights and peaceful coexistence between all religious and ethnic communities in the kingdom.

Three days after the protest my family received a phone call from the ministry of education in Bahrain telling them that my scholarship had been revoked.... "

No comments: