Sunday, November 29, 2009

Afghan scandal sullies Canada


Our leaders were warned that not jailing prisoners ourselves would lead to torture
By Eric Margolis
Toronto Sun

"Canada has long been admired around the globe as a nation of high ethics, human rights and respect for law.

But Canada's sterling reputation is being seriously degraded by the spreading scandal over involvement in torture in the increasingly sordid Afghan conflict.....

Ottawa's disgraceful fig leaf: A memo from Afghan officials promising not to torture captives.

Now we see military men and high government officials trying to bluff away what seem to be some serious misdeeds. A disgusting spectacle that deeply shames and sullies this good nation.

As Shakespeare wrote:

"Who steals my purse steals trash ... But he that filches from me my good name Robs me of that which not enriches him, And makes me poor indeed." "

No comments: