Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My mandate on Gaza was even-handed, my loyalty is to justice


It would have been hypocritical for me not to speak out about Israeli violations of international law simply because I am Jewish

Richard Goldstone
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 5 May 2010

This statement, released Wednesday, was made at the meeting on Monday between South African Zionist Federation chairman Avrom Krengel and Judge Richard Goldstone, following the dispute over Judge Goldstone's attendance of his grandson's bar mitzvah at the weekend. This event had been threatened by Jewish protesters objecting to Goldstone's report for the UN on war crimes in Gaza, but they were called off after mediation led to Monday's meeting. The original report of the United Nations Fact Finding Mission on the Gaza Conflict (the "Goldstone report") can be read here. You can read Avrom Krengel's statement here

"....Without more, allow me to turn to the Gaza report that has caused so much anger in this and other Jewish communities. It is well known that initially I refused to become involved with what I considered to be a mandate that was unfair to Israel by concentrating only on war crimes alleged to have been committed by the Israel Defence Forces. When I was offered an even-handed mandate that included war crimes alleged to have been committed against Israel by Hamas and other militant groups in Gaza, my position changed.

I have spent much of my professional life in the cause of international criminal justice. It would have been hypocritical for me to continue to speak out against violations of international law and impunity for war crimes around the world but remain silent when it came to Israel simply because I am Jewish.

The state of Israel was established in 1948 by the United Nations acting on the principles of international law [Really??]. It should not be surprising that Israel has always committed itself to being bound by the norms and practices of international law [Is this Goldstone groveling in front of the Zionist Federation??]. I have always assumed that Israel would wish to be judged by the highest standards of international law [Now Goldstone the Zionist is speaking!]. One of the cardinal norms, accepted by Israel, is that of "distinction", the requirement that there be proportionality between a military goal and civilian casualties caused in achieving that goal....."

No comments: