Friday, May 27, 2011

Welcome to Gaza



Revolution and Change at the Rafah Border

By RAMZY BAROUD
CounterPunch

"....'So, Egypt has changed, right?' asked one Mohammed with a knowing smile and a nod. Everyone seemed to agree, although they didn't pinpoint exactly how that change has affected Gaza so far. Palestinians in Gaza survive largely because of the 500 or so tunnels that connect the impoverished, besieged Strip to Egypt. Now, they feed on hope and cheap cigarettes, much of it also coming from Egypt.

'Ramzy Baroud,' called out an older officer loudly. 'Welcome home, son,' he said, as he handed me my passport and waved me in. No words could possibly have been sweeter at that moment.

After seventeen years of constant attempts to visit Gaza again, I am finally here.

I am in Gaza. I am home."

No comments: